View Single Post
Old 01-29-2024, 10:36 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

The 55 Aaron is a great card.
What what I have heard is that old tape is one thing that Kurt or nobody else can get off. Someone posted on a thread before about a restoration service "Gone with the stain." They do a lot of this kind of stuff.

I actually reached out to them about a card I would not ever sell, my Aaron rookie that I got from my folks for Christmas as a teen. It was obviously taped in a scrapbook on the corders/edges at some point. So you can see partial tape on the front. He said there was nothing he could do with that and it would peel the card to remove, likely tearing surface off.

I just considered doing that one because it looks so good other than the tape. Yet in some ways I am glad to leave "as is" because of the memory associated with it. Looks to me like someone made an attempt at peeling it and quickly put it back on when they saw what was happening.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yeah, that was kind of my assessment - even if by their standards SGC technically got it "wrong." The tape and that paper loss on the back is obviously the major flaw, so if it's something else it would be surprising. I do look over all of the cards I submit with a blacklight before I package them up, and found nothing else obvious / suspicious on this one.

This is why I buy these kind of cards sometimes - the real value difference here is likely negligible whether it's a 1 or an AA - as eye appeal is going to be a bigger factor here than the number on the flip.