View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 01:09 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Interesting debate. Correct me if I'm wrong on this - perhaps I'm just misremembering: When I first got back into the hobby about 8 or so years ago, whenever a card was in an authentic altered slab or something to that effect, it was looked at as a Scarlett Letter and could have been had for considerably less than a raw unaltered or low grade example. Now I feel as though as long as it has good eye appeal, an altered version of a sought after vintage card is worth considerably more than a lower grade example. Again, I could be way off on this, but I feel like that's the way it's trending.
AA cards have their own pricing spectrum. They can sell for less than a 1 or as much as a nice 3 or a low end 4. It just depends on what's wrong with the card and how it presents. They can also be cracked out and resubmitted for a second opinion. Graders get it wrong quite often. If you learn how to grade cards and detect alterations yourself, you can often find great deals on unaltered cards that mistakenly made their way into AA slabs.