View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 12:11 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
You chose to make the argument in #100 that his name recognition is 1/18 in your survey and thus he is not famous and thus should not be in the Hall of Fame, while the roster of steroid users should be. Mauer, obviously, is more recognizable a name to people today than most of the names in the Hall. This is not a good argument, or logical. I did not choose that argument, you made it. You then argued in favor of Pettite, who is not exactly a top tier HOF quality player like the 3 druggies you also mentioned, but a borderline candidate if you ignore the drugs.

I am quite confident you are able to understand why steroid players are not in, and that they are not excluded on grounds of name recognition or performance.
Nowhere in my original post fo I ever say that Joe Mauer doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. I say he has less name recognition than Bonds Clemens and Rodriguez because all 3 of them were significantly better Baseball players. All 3 of them are eligible according to the rules to be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. And they are all 3 among best to ever play the game of Baseball. Because of that all 3 deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. That is the argument I make. If I wanted to argue that Joe Mauer doesn't belong in the HOF I could. But here today in this Thread I did not. We know that because no where in my post do I say Joe Mauer Doesn't belong in the Hall of fame.
Is Joe Mauer a more recognizable name than " Most of the Names in the Hall of Fame" I dont know difficult to prove either way it is a very broad statement. What demographic, so many variables. And because it is difficult to prove either way it is a weak argument. Supported by little logic. But you make that argument. We know that because you say that in your post. See how that works your words in your post equals Your Argument....not mine. And you make it in 2 seperate posts.
You conclude that you are confident that I should be able to understand why they " The Druggies" as you call them are not in the Hall of Fame. Again I wrote very clearly that I do not understand why despite the name recognition gained during three spectacular baseball careers they are not in the Baseball hall of Fame. So I dont share your confidence or find even a thread of logic in your conclusion.
The reason for that is because athletes are by nature competitive. They look for ways to improve all the time. All the Time. I dont know where the line is where competitive turns to cheating by unfair advantage. Baseball has rules and a commissioner and a union to balance and they did not preclude or bar in any way the path for these baseball greats to enter the Hall of Fame. So I believe their careers on the field of play should speak for them. Especially after Bud Selig and David Ortiz have already been enshrined. Just my Humble opinion.