Thread: In the news.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 09:35 PM
Joshua

Article and its author carries no weight.

He “flashes” the reader by dangling a pre-rookie of Ruth at the top of the article, then backs up his thesis that trading cards have crashed with Pokémon cards and nft’s. Really nft’s! Not remotely in the same asset class.

And an index does not portray the entire market. We hear about new highs due to the (overpriced) mag seven in the nasdaq 100 carrying that index. Doesn’t mean the whole market is doing well. The Russell 2000 index is the best broad measure of the market which has rebounded as breadth strengthened but it is still 17% below its highs from a couple years ago. My point is the Pokémon card negative skew to the trading card index is the inverse of the magnificent 7 + skew to the nasdaq100, but doesn’t depict what’s really happening to the broader markets as depicted by the Russell 2000.

I thought his story was weak so I decided to look him up in LinkedIn. His pedigree is weaker. The kid is 6 years removed from grammar school and has 3 years of journalism under his belt. Hardly a business expert for business was insider let alone him penning an article outside his lane regarding collectibles.

But wait his profile summary says the Wharton school. So that provides some cred… until you read further that he added that to his cv for attending a seminar at Wharton, and not a degree from there. Overinflated cv is another red flag for someone trying to pretend to be above their weight class.

So don’t give the article much credence.

Last edited by joshuanip; 01-19-2024 at 10:04 PM.