View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 02:29 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I was certainly bummed to part with them, yet sometimes as collectors— akin to being GM of a team— we have to give up the very, very good to get the great in our clubhouse. For me, a longtime collecting goal which I never thought possible was to create this quartet pictured below and so when the chance arose I made the moves to make it happen.
I don't blame you one bit for what you chose to do. It's a goal/dream not many of us get to see to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeckerstreetcards View Post
As a 31 yr old vintage collector who grew up surrounded by and loving game used relic and autographed modern cards because both, in a way, brought me “closer” to the player, I think the interest (not sure on prices, as these are all discretionary/luxury goods subject to macro conditions) in these signed vintage cards are here to stay. As the average modern collector graduates to vintage over the coming 5, 10, 25 years, that collector has an expectation of being able to get autographed cards of their favorite players to collect.. and comparatively less of a need for “pack fresh” / high grade cards than previous generations. Curious of others thoughts
I agree, and I have noticed this a lot lately with modern hockey cards which now seem to be the favorites to acquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
My passion for signed vintage cards stems from the fact that the player actually held the card in their hands. Such a neat aspect, especially when you find one with brilliant eye appeal (both autograph & card). For those who think the Memory Lane prices were significantly “over the top”….think again. Look at the population reports of high grade unsigned examples vs. signed subjects. There’s your answer. For the nicest signed examples, today’s retail will be tomorrow’s wholesale.
I agree. I currently only have a couple/few signed cards/photos with my Bobby Orr card being my favorite. Knowing he personally held it and signed it is just extra special to me.

Last edited by irv; 01-17-2024 at 02:30 PM.