View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 09:05 PM
Eric Perry

Default If you could choose...

Here's an obviously hypothetical situation.

The baseball gods present you with the opportunity to play professionally for one season. You won't be a star; however, you'll get some playing time. This isn't about rewriting any record books, it's about giving you the chance to experience life as a ballplayer.

Their only question to you is this:

At what ballpark do you want to play your home games?

For me, it would be Ebbets Field. Yes, it would severely limit my chances to be a World Series Champion. The Dodgers only won it all once during their 40+ years there. Still, they had quite a few good years and won several pennants along the way. Plus, the ballpark was beautiful and the fans were truly special. Lastly, the eras (early teens to mid fifties) in which the Dodgers played there appeal to me more than those before or after.

I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I'm a Phillies fan, through and through. I thought about Veteran's Stadium. It would give me a chance to play with my childhood heroes and/or the players I cheered for as a young adult. However, that would mean playing on AstroTurf in a '70s style multi-purpose stadium. Somehow, that doesn't sound like the stuff dreams are made of.

Nope. Give me a grass field on a sunny day in one of the greatest ball parks in baseball history.

How about you?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra