View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 01:10 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I like cards as a medium. I think they also set some players apart when the hobby is crowded with their stuff. I'm thinking of a player like Mantle who signed a million baseballs. It's a lot harder to find him on a card.
I think also that has a lot to do with the sentiment around players signing cards, and how that has changed over the years. I made a thread about this a while back. Where people wouldn't get their cards signed because of the concept of "defacing" the card, or it becoming less valuable.

I can't remember which board member posted about it, in the thread. But they told the story about how someone at a show,a while back, brought a 1952 Topps, Andy Pafko, to Mr. Pafko to have it signed at a show. Pafko tried to talk the guy out of it, everyone tried to talk the guy out of it, guy wasn't having it. Pafko reluctantly signed it, everyone cringed. Looking back on it, that was probably the smartest move in the book. But who would've thought, that at the time? Hindsight is 20/20

As a Mantle Collector, pretty much everything you buy with a Mantle signature on it, goes for a premium. A Nice Bobby Brown Baseball with his clean signature? $600.

A crisp Mantle Signature on, lets say, a 1954 Red Heart issue? One just sold in August of 2023, for 10K at heritage.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.