Thread: 1st 5 HOF
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2024, 08:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Thanks Hank! Appreciate your insight. I was the one who was fortunate enough to have purchased it from you on the BST. All I know is that it was most definitely cut from a postcard and had, at one point, been sent in the mail to Fullerton, California based on the back stamping. It has an Artura postcard back stamp box, so would have been issued between 1908-1924 according to Playle's. I'd like to believe it has a 1907 image and his baby face certainly suggests that it was issued very early in his illustrious career. Here's the back:

from Playle's:
Hi Derek,
I wouldn't completely discount the possibility it was cut from a team photo just because it's postmarked and has a stamp box. Larger photos might have
been made into RPPCs for mailing purposes, too, I think. And it could be a 1907 photo made into an RPPC at a later date--they lived in Fullerton until early 1910. The photo and size just look to me to suggest that it wasn't an individual portrait to begin with. As for the year, I know that was their road uni in 1907, not sure about beyond that. And, as you say, he looks so very young here. Some mysteries will never be solved, but they don't all need to be.