View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 08:04 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
First - what do you mean Steve Evans isn't the rarest card in the set?

Second (and more seriously) If one assumes a higher percentage of extant Cobbs are graded than of any other "normal" card, it should give you a starting point to extrapolate overall numbers for commons.

OK Cobb might have been saved more often than other players due to his stature but the question becomes what percentage of Cobb cards does the collecting world suspect are graded? I know we have gotten in a few raw ones over the last 5 years (that we of course graded) but there's obviously a decent number of ungraded copies out there.
I agree that certain HOF cards could actually give you an idea of the quantity of the more common cards that were not graded as much. I wouldn't use the Red Cobb though, because it's a Super Print. Maybe use an average of the Cy Young with Glove and the Johnson Hand at Chest. I don't think many collectors would just hold on to a few of the stars and toss the rest. Also, for a few years, I payed attention to a certain group of cards and made sure none were counted twice, and I found that with these certain common cards, on average, 75% were coming up ungraded, with the rest being graded. So, from my past research, multiplying a common graded card total by 4 would give you a close number in existance. Obviously, there are some commons that won't fit that 4x quantity rule.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11