View Single Post
Old 12-23-2023, 02:23 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

Alright, let's look at Yankee team captains. There is no indication this job has had any correlation to the Hall. Fine players who were Yankee captains but don't quite have the stats are also not in. Randolph, Guidry, Mattingly, Nettles. I assume the counter argument will be that the difference is Munson won two World Series and these other fine player Yankee captains did not. If we limit to to 1) Yankee team captains who 2) don't quite have the stat line but 3) won 2 World Series, this constructs an argument that eliminates every other player in baseball history besides a couple obvious hall of famer Yankees like Jeter who are in on the strength of their actual performance. An argument tailored to arrange things distinctly for only one individual is usually not a good argument; it's usually done when a generally applicable standard can't be found to use.
Concerning your part about Yankees Captains, I wanted to bring this up. Randolph, In my opinion, by the metrics of the Hall of Fame, should've been given at least consideration. Compiling a 65.9 bWAR, over a lengthy career was impressive. I think he's very underrated.

Mattingly, had he not gotten hurt, would've easily made the Hall of Fame. His persistent back issues, led to his demise. Nothing we can do about that, though. I think he certainly had the talent, just couldn't stay healthy.

Nettles, is another guy I don't understand how he's not in the current iteration of the Hall. His JAWS has him right there with Molitor, Martinez and Rolen. He has a 67.9 bWAR. Again another player very underrated.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.