View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 08:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Experience from my line of work and hearing Nat Turner expressly state that they are not using it to grade cards in multiple podcast interviews.

It's not possible to grade cards with the type of scans that PSA uses. No matter how high-def the images are. You need to have a machine that takes numerous images from every different angle with light reflected at different angles as well, and then convolve those images to create a topographic map like TAG Grading does in order to even begin to grade cards. And it's just too big of a hill to climb when it comes to vintage cards because of the surfaces.
OK thanks for explaining. i'll check to see if there are any sources for guys saying otherwise. I don't necessarily trust PSA itself to be truthful, place more stock in your views informed by your expertise.

So do you think graders just have no clue how to grade vintage? Lots of stories, from reliable sources, about long time dealers getting absolutely screwed on subs and getting on average 2-3 grades lower than they expected even allowing for some tighter grading.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-04-2023 at 08:36 PM.