View Single Post
Old 12-01-2023, 12:12 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Problem Holsum card on Ebay

I was momentarily geeked to see this Eddie Foster Holsum card on Ebay, but alas it is almost certainly a fake. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22505066751...Bk9SR9a9xMGEYw
The back is stamped or horribly printed– you can see ink bleed in some of the letters and light to missing ink print in others. The front also carries a serif typeset/font as would be typical of a 1917 E135 card, when Holsum cards use a non-serif font.

I was interested because I have not confirmed Foster to be in the Holsum set as a Washington American, where he did not play after 1919. If he were part of the set it would almost certainly be a Type 1 from 1920, yet this card is Type 2, and Foster already has a card in the Type 2 group with Boston.

Proceed with caution. It seems you would have the Ebay guarantee in play given the price of the card, unless Seller accepts a Best Offer below the guarantee amount. Still and this is breaking news– the graders don’t always get it right.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-01-2023 at 12:17 AM.