View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 07:52 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was an AH in PA called Centerfield Collectibles IIRC.

They had the last major league glove used by Richie Ashburn that I wanted for my extensive Ashburn collection. He was not yet in the HOF. I was second high bid. A few weeks went by and I got a call from Al Curcio who owned the AH and said the high bidder returned it because there was no way he had to know/ID this was Ashburn's glove and wanted to know if I wanted it.

I couldn't get to the AH fast enough! I had photos of him with the glove and I knew the history of it and how the consignor came to get it from Ashburn.

Years later when Whitey made it into the HOF the curator at the time called me to ask what Ashburn items I had and if they wanted to use them for the year long display they had for the new inductees if I would loan it to them.

My father and I drove up to Cooperstown with a handful of items. We got a private tour of the HOF including the basement where they have 10 times the things that are on display upstairs. They decided to use his glove I got from the auction. You can see it in the case over my right shoulder. in the photo below.

I ended up being part of the Ashburn family contingent for the induction weekend which included another private tour of the HOF early Saturday morning of the induction ( though not the basement this time) seats down in front for the induction and passes to the Otesaga where all the HOFer's stay during induction weekend.

So it turned out quite well for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me Ashburn HOF display.jpg (86.7 KB, 371 views)