View Single Post
Old 11-26-2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I won some items but I am superstitious about posting pick-ups before I have them in hand, so I will wait until the December pick-up thread to show the cards. I will say generically that it was one Old Judge proof cabinet, one Herpolsheimer's, and one Zeenut (and none of them were show-stoppers).

Great auction, but my one quibble is that after the midnight close and the 1 AM "any item that has not had a bid for an hour" close, I would prefer that the remaining items be on individual 15-minute clocks.

Basically, I wanted one (and only one) Herpolsheimer's and had qualified for five during the regular bidding (but was high bidder on none on the last day). At one point three were higher than I wanted to go, so I narrowed it down to two. I was high bidder on one at midnight but was topped after midnight, so I switched off to the other one and became high bidder on that. At 1:00 the other three closed, so only these two were left for me to bid on. By 2:00 nothing more had happened, so I put a max bid on the one I has high bidder on and went to sleep. It was several bids above the current price (even more than the other three which had already closed), so I ran the risk of being bumped up, but I didn't want to go to sleep high bidder on two cards, and I wanted one (strictly for research purposes, of course).

As it turned out nothing happened. All the cards I was high on when I went to sleep closed as that price. But I would have preferred the ability to see quickly if I was going to be outbid on the card I won so I could have pivoted to the other card (which I think a 15-minute individual closing would have allowed me to do more efficiently).

Just a very minor quibble...I imagine the current closing method works better for other people.

I will add that in every recent auction where I have gone to sleep with a max bid on a card, the auto-bid has not come into play at all, let alone being bid up to my max. I know some people don't like to leave max bids, but at least for the usual array of major auctions, I have not had any issues with it.

I couldn’t agree with you more. The bidding process was definitely a bit excessive. When the auction hits 1 am and heads into double overtime it should 100% go into a 15 minute clock for each individual remaining lot in my opinion