View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 05:03 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post

Herpolsheimer did not have its address on the 1916 cards either. Then again, neither did department stores Block & Kuhl, Burgess-Nash, Gimbels and Everybody's. Really irrelevant.

Jay, I have not seen much of anything for Herpolsheimer's store in 1921, but that isn't surprising. They only had one or two ads that I've seen from 1916. Also, the department store ads from 1916 were all the marketing idea of Felix Mendelsohn, who no doubt created the format. Several of these department stores used virtually identical ads and verbiage. As I mentioned before, it looks like Herpolsheimer's was the lone department store advertising these cards in 1921.

PAT. The articles you posted are of a different Herpolsheimer in Nebraska-- a brother of the patriarch from Grand Rapids.

Here is the ad I found for the 1916 cards, a full page from the Grand Rapids Herald. Note there does not appear to be a store address-- kind of a shame with all those bargain prices that they forgot to tell people how to find the store.
Yes I know that Todd. He sold his interest in the Grand Rapids store to his brother and opened the store in Lincoln.