View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 01:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankweather View Post
Thanks for all the info. I love what a mess these sets are, and I also love that you all did all the work already. Gimbels was a bad example because it actually has back variations. What about Standard Biscuit or Morehouse Baking? Is the cardstock the only way to tell with those?
Those two are extremely difficult to differentiate between m101-4 and m101-5 (I know they have their own “D” designations), especially Morehouse Baking. There are some slight toning differences in the card stock– the whiter stock is usually m101-4 and the more yellowed or creamy stock m101-5. This is particularly true on the card backs, where an almost golden color stock is often seen on the m101-5s for Standard Biscuit. That being said, the coloring falls along a spectrum and the differences can be very subtle. Also, I don’t recall there being noticeable distinctions in thickness or feel of the stock when the card is in hand. So, unless the card appears very white or very non-white, I generally hesitate to be conclusive. This one, for example, is probably m101-5 (technically D350-1-1) but I have no real heartburn calling it m101-4 either (D350-1-2):
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-09-2023 at 01:54 PM.