View Single Post
Old 11-05-2023, 05:45 PM
Eric Perry

I'm only actively collecting two sets, although I'll also pick up other cards along the way.

T206 is a set I'll likely never actually complete; however, each and every card is a joy to acquire. So, I'm collecting them without the expectation of putting together a set. Let's leave T206 aside and talk about the other set.

I will complete 1956 Topps Baseball. That's 342 cards, including the two checklists. I'm a little more than halfway there. I've got Mantle, Jackie, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Berra, and Kaline, among others. So, from a cost perspective, I'm even closer to being done.

At the beginning of this journey, I only had the Mantle. Not a bad start, to be sure, but that was only one card. It got me thinking, though. I've got the most expensive card. Why not pick up some other '56 Topps and see where it goes? I started picking up some small lots and a few cheaper singles. Before too long, I had well over 100 cards...but Mantle was still the only major star.

Right at the beginning of the pandemic, I shifted my focus. Rather than "checking off boxes" by buying more commons and minor stars, I decided to go after the HOFers. In the spring of 2020, before the boom, I bought a Jackie Robinson. My next purchases were Berra, Aaron, Koufax, and Mays and Kaline. I've also picked a few other HOFers (like Warren Spahn) along the way.

So, it has been quality over quantity lately. Best decision I've ever made, from a card collecting standpoint. Once I've got the Hall of Famers and checklists, I'll fill in the rest of the set. This is definitely the best way (for me) to build a set.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra