View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I’ve never been a big set collector. I’ve always preferred to stick to player collecting, with a big focus on the all time greats from my favorite team.

However, I have branched out a little to collect some oddball sets from the 50s and 60s. Often it happens because they’re smaller sets, and to pick up one of my favorite players I am forced to pick up a larger lot, which gives me a running start. The good news is that they’re often underloved and so the competition for pieces isn’t quite as fierce.

Some examples include:

53-54 Briggs Meats
1954 Stahl Meyer
1963 Jell-O Complete Boxes
1967 Topps Punch Outs
1968 Bazooka Complete Boxes
1971 Bazooka Numbered
1973 Topps Comics

I do think that part of the fun with these sets is the hunt. They don’t come up often, which means that I can naturally pace myself. Plus this also gives me the option to work on all of them concurrently, since it will likely take years or even decades to finish some of them. Every once in a while I can pick up a piece to push them forward a little bit at a time, without having to worry about my pace.

Luckily for me, a lot of the big names are players that I’m already collecting anyway, so I generally don’t feel like I’m dropping huge sums on players that I don’t care about.

Since these sets are also difficult to complete, I also get to find my zen knowing that I might never get there. And I’m okay with that! The fun is in the journey, not just in getting to the finish line.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 11-04-2023 at 11:02 AM.