View Single Post
Old 09-13-2023, 01:11 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Then I would say you're the exception. I have personally viewed hundreds to thousands of PSA "mechanical errors" while browsing message boards the last 10 years or cards for sale on eBay or COMC. Some are more innocent, some are absolutely ridiculous.

The search "mechanical error" on Google for Blowout, Net54, and Collectors.com (PSA message board) gives like 800 total threads.

Back when I submitted to PSA, I probably received 20 mechanical errors myself in the 300 or so cards I submitted. But then, I'm normally an oddball collector. Then I probably sent in 5-10 more cards that I purchased that had mechanical errors.
Based on the high numbers of mechanical errors you have observed while reading threads, it seems that you may be the exception based on your own personal submission experiences.

Let's say that with each of the 800 threads you mention from your google search on this topic there are an average of 5 mech errors mentioned in each thread. This would mean that 4000 mech errors have been publicly outed via threads....this aligns with the 100s to 1000s you mention having viewed across various boards over the past 10 years.

According to PSA's site, for ONLY baseball, basketball and football cards, PSA has graded just shy of 42 million cards. So, quick math tells us that 0.0095% of these cards have had mech errors, based on posts you have observed. In my collection, 0.0118% of my PSA cards have mech errors by comparison.

Your percent, based on your submissions of odd -ball items, is 6.7%.

Again, seems you may be the exception.