View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 03:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
For those that think this is fake, HOW did they do it and WHY would they do it? Did they have access to a genuine 1956 Topps 2nd Series double sheet containing both Slits and make a huge reverse copy of it somehow?
I don't think any of us are arguing it is positively fake; there is just uncertainty. Post 3 handles the technical aspect well. The other things that make me suspicious are the incredibly vague 'authentication' claim and the more academic challenge of how we authenticate something that is otherwise unknown. Unlike an uncut sheet, we can't compare to actual cards. I have more faith in our printing experts analysis than I do a claim by a vested interest party.

If fake, I would expect it to be modeled off a real sheet. My photo archives only has series 1/3/4 sheets but I'm not sure a series 2 sheet is a secret or something or actually unknown. We've known the single vs. double prints for a long time and I believe that information has been posted to this board before.

As for why someone would fake Mays and Mantle items like this, $$$$. The seller is presumably disappointed in the minimum bid sale whether real or fake.

Again, I hope it is real because unique items are super cool. I'm not sold it is real on an evidentiary basis.