View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 11:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

'Wasted career': Don Mattingly. One playoff loss in 1st round, retired just before the Yankees' big run.

Trout to the Dodgers...just sayin'. Let the man contend for a title up the road and DH to close his career.

If I am a GM I am not going to pay up for Ohtani now because odds are he is going to be mediocre and/or shut down as a pitcher, and he will most likely not play in 2024.

I suspect that the Angels did not trade him because they knew he was hurt and would not have passed a physical, and that they did not shut him down earlier because they knew he wasn't coming back next year regardless. As cold-blooded as the business is, the Angels may have figured to wring every last attendance and merch dollar out of him for the rest of the year, and if it wrecked him for the next team, who cares.

If I was him, I would take the year to fully rehab, then put on a road show once better and enter the free agent market in 2025. It is a risk but if he comes back and shows the same pop as a hitter, he will still get the big bucks.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-25-2023 at 11:47 AM.