View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 12:56 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I think with modern technology, what constitutes a "ticket" for collecting purposes gets a little murky (and will get even murkier as time passes). Sure, in 1940, there were only a couple ways to get into a ballpark legally, and both utilized some sort of physical ticket or season pass. For the past 20 years, however, tickets that were printed also have an electronic counterpart, that enabled the ticket holder to convert their physical ticket to either a PDF format ticket, or now a QR code that you display on your phone. Granted, this really only applies to modern ticket collecting for now. But, it seems most collectors of modern tickets are interested in the physically generated ticket, regardless of the history of whether that physical ticket/barcode was the one actually used for entry to the event (or, in fact, whether the corresponding seat was used at all for the game).

So, in 30 years, as the ticket collecting industry evolves, I suspect the question of whether a ticket or pass was actually physically used for entry to a game will not be a question most collectors ask or are concerned about. I appreciate current collectors of vintage tickets can have different concerns.