View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 08:43 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Actually, as a seller at a local show, there was one gentlemen who told me my prices on most of my tickets were more than fair and he was happy to pay what I'd originally marked on the toploaders before I told him that I was willing to discount if he bought several items. This made negotiating on some of my less-discountable items easier because we both knew we were both going to be treating each other fairly and would be honest with each other. However, that's one of the rare times that has happened.
On occasion, I bring my extra 1970-1975 Topps Baseball to a local small show with the hope of selling enough in order to purchase the upgrades for my sets without having to tap into the savings account. My Minister of Finance aka the wife will get on my case when she notices PayPal withdrawals from the savings account. There are very few set builders who come to this particular show and since virtually all of my purchases are from eBay I am conscious of what I have into my cards; I don't expect to make a profit, but if I break even or even if it's at a slight loss I'm satisfied.

Most people who I have dealt with (99.8%) are like the gentleman that you described. There are some collectors that use the cheapest outlying comp to justify their offer. For example, I have a very nice VG/EX 53 Bowman Color Furillo that I have priced at $20.00. There is this collector who examines the comps for every single card he considers to purchase, even if it's a dollar. He shows me a VG/EX Furillo on eBay that sold for $12.00 and I told him that I couldn't meet that price. I later checked the comps and similar and VG/EX Furillo sold between $18-$25.

The final, rare scenario is one where a person is given a per-card discount, but in the end, they request an additional package discount. If it's a dollar or so, okay; but when the buyer requests an additional discount of 20% or more I dryly reject their offer.

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets under revision as the budget and wife allows

Under construction:
1970 Topps Baseball - missing over 100 cards, mostly after #450 and the three insert sets

1971 Topps Coins- 120/153

1974 Topps Baseball Washington variations