View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 07:36 AM
Jeff Huffman

I have never had a problem with either the comps thing or the "what I have into it" thing.

On the comps, as has been pointed out, this is just a starting point. A 1956 Mays PSA 6 with snow, jagged edges, and bad centering, and one with a clear image, clean edges, great centering can be WORLDS apart in value.

Plus, totally agree about the eBay vs. in person situation--the dealer has to pay eBay 10-15% and the buyer has to pay tax, shipping, and does not really get a good look at the card. So an in-person transaction is just going to be substantially financially different for everyone. So I am fine for someone to bring up comps as a starting point, but they are going to have to be fine with me pointing out all of the above.

For dealers talking about what they have into it, I have often found that this is actually a way of a dealer saying, "I am really not trying to be a jerk over $15 here, I really just want to get my money back on this." Of course it does not matter to the buyer WHAT the dealer has into it, but often I've experienced this as apologetic on the dealer's part, like, dude, on this one I can't go lower but it's not because I am just being a tough guy over a small amount.

Of course, there are some people being tough for no reason, but honestly, I have run into so many more great guys than jerks (especially when it comes to vintage sellers) in this hobby, so that has been my experience mostly.