View Single Post
Old 07-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Troy Rambo

Agree w/Ryan as well regarding the use of VCP to estimate value of whatever I'm buying. Most stuff I tend to get don't have a bunch of recent sales so I do my best to triangulate value w/other, somewhat relevant cards.

I will say VCP is only what somebody paid for a card and sometimes those can be misleading. Case in point is a card I bought today. Last sale was 3 years ago at $60. I needed it for what I was doing and paid $175 so that doesn't make the card a $175 card all of a sudden. I just knew I couldn't find it otherwise and I wanted to finish the project. That may become a comparable going forward and honestly, it shouldn't be. I just happen to be the idiot that overpaid...haha!

That said, at the national, I'll use VCP to figure out a ballpark of value but won't throw that out as a comp. I figure the owner of the card has a price they want and if it fits with or without some negotiation, I'll buy it. In my experience, if I see a card that I feel is grossly overpriced, I won't talk to the seller/dealer about it because there's no way we'll ever agree on a number. I also won't bring up anything with why I think it's worth what its worth unless prompted. Seems to work for me but I'm sure others have their own way of buying.

Should be a fun and interesting show w/all the fluctuation in pricing. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by trambo; 07-11-2023 at 12:38 PM.