View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 09:22 AM
Fred

the good ole days...

I remember in 1975 a friend of mine was in Sacramento and when he came home he had these miniature 1975 Topps cards. Apparently Sacramento was one of the test markets for that issue. I thought the cards were interesting but I liked the regular sized cards, but I had to have some because they were novel in the area I lived.

Subscribing to a couple of the hobby periodicals was a must if you wanted to see what was going on in the hobby. I had subscriptions to SCD and The Trader Speaks and read the Baseball Digest like it was required school reading material.

People look back and think a buck for T206 cards, but when you're a kid, allowances really weren't going to cover trying to get a lot of T206s, even at a buck a piece. Still, when you look at a T206 at a buck, it wasn't too crazy. I can remember an issue of The Trader Speaks that showed the Wags as a possible $1,000 or $10,000 card.

Trading, buying, selling was done through the mail as was a lot of hobby correspondence.

All good times!