View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 11:24 AM
James M.

Echoing what has been said, and this is a point that I've made numerous times. I'm always happy when someone scores a new pickup, or gets their grail card. Just as I know many are happy for me, when I post something new that I've picked up. At the end of the day this hobby is all about the cardboard, and our shared love and commitment to said hobby.

I almost get a feeling of Envy though when I hear about someone telling me how much they paid for a t206 Matty, or a 52 Topps Mantle, or 33 Goudey Ruth. It's not because I'm not happy for the person, it's because that I simply wasn't alive at the time these cards were available for reasonable prices.

And I fully understand inflation is a thing, and the value of a dollar is different, but even if you track the price of the card, and adjust it for inflation, some cards are worth four or five times their value. It's almost like when we look at the Housing market. My Grandparents paid $10,000 for their house back in the 1950's. If adjusted for inflation the same house today would be a bit over 100K. What's the house actually worth? Over $1.5 Million.

I understand this is life, and I'm not exactly complaining about the hand I was dealt, but God sometimes I really do wonder how people are able to do it nowadays.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.