View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 11:00 AM
And.rew Whi.te

My partners and I used to run card shows in the suburban Chicago area in the 80's and 90's and with each show we would bring in a local athlete to sign free autographs. I had been in touch with Heisman trophy winner Johnny Lattner and he agreed to be our guest one fall Sunday afternoon. I knew the pre-arranged time was getting close for his signing and was on the lookout for Mr. Lattner when I heard may name called out from across the center of the mall. I turned to see Mr. Lattner pushing a shopping cart which I thought was a bit odd. As I got closer I stopped in my tracks and realized that the reason he was pushing a shopping cart was because the Heisman was sitting in it. I stood dumbfounded just staring at the trophy and Mr. Lattner casually mentioned to me that he thought people would like to see it so he brough the Heisman with him. We had never discussed this possibility but yet, there it was...THE Heisman.

To say this was a huge hit with all those who were attending would be an understatement.

I am the big guy on the right who stupidly never got a picture of myself holding this 45 pound sculpture but it was so very cool to see and hold it in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lattner.jpg (105.4 KB, 223 views)