View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 11:21 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
The BBREF entry for Harry shows him with the Boston Doves in 1910, but no Smiths at all with the 1911 Boston Rustlers. Not sure of the lineage of the teams, but in either case, I added a UER note to the card.

A change request has been submitted to adjust the set total.
Yes, I knew that Boston was referred to as the Doves in 1910, just a Freudian slip on my part in referring to them as the Boston Rustlers in 1910 as well. But whoever was creating the set probably realized that Boston changed to the Rustlers name after the end of the 1910 season, and may have just mistakenly noted someone with the last name of Smith had also played for the Boston team in 1910, and erroneously switched the team name to the Rustlers assuming the player was going to be with the Boston NL team in the 1911 season then as well. In fact, the name change of the Rustlers pretty much cements the fact that these S74-1 white silks were not issued until 1911. The former owner of the Doves team had died in 1909, and his family finally ended up selling the team following the end of the 1910 baseball season. And then a month later, on December 17, 1910, the team was again sold to a group headed by William Hepburn Russell, who was the one that changed the Doves name to the Rustlers. It seems literally impossible that even if Russell had announced the team's name change to the Boston Rustlers the same day he bought the team, that the people creating and issuing the silks would have been able to make the team name change and still been able to get the silks out into distribution before the end of 1910. From the December 17th purchase date till the 31st would have only given them two weeks, at most, to learn of and show the team name change on the silks, and still get them out before the end of 1910. Given the Christmas and New Year's holidays along with the extremely short period of time that otherwise remained in the year, I don't see how the S74-1 white silks could have possibly been created and shipped prior to 1911. Yet when you look at some other sites for cards, like the OBC or the Pre-War Cards sites, they still continue to erroneously show the S74-1 white silk set as being issued in 1909-10. They clearly could not have been issued that early, based on the timing of the Doves to Rustlers name change. TCDB accurately lists the S74-1 white silks as a 1911 issue. Regardless of whether the team was named the Doves or the Rustlers, the Tony Smith - Boston Rustlers white, ad-backed silk is a definite error, and should be correctly shown as such. Thanks for submitting this additional change.

And thanks for also submitting the additional correction to the revised number of silks comprising the S74-1 set as 87, instead of the incorrect previous number of 92, which erroneously included the five white, ad-backed silks that actually never existed.