View Single Post
Old 05-14-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
A PSA 6 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken. I figured it would get a couple hundred being a insanely rare version. It ended at a little over $2500 all in.
As someone who had been holding onto 150-ish graded "junk wax" era slabs I had been looking to get rid of for many years, I can say with a huge amount of certainty that a lot of the collector rush during the pandemic was 80s/90s collectors returning to the hobby. I got rid of a bunch of stuff that would be lucky to turn 10-20% profit pre-pandemic for 100%+ profit on almost everything I sold.

Stuff I've had sitting around in boxes because it wasn't worth the trouble to shift wasn't just profitable, it was easy to find buyers.

It all got a bump...from big names like Griffey Jr and Jeter to smaller guys like Will Clark and Mark Grace.

Some stuff went absolutely crazy. 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken (all variations) and 1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez (Reverse Negative) were fetching insane prices when they were just curiosities pre-pandemic. There's probably more than that, but I had some of those to get rid of and I was shocked at the prices they were fetching.

Last edited by BioCRN; 05-14-2023 at 04:45 PM.