View Single Post
Old 05-12-2023, 03:43 AM

Looking good!

Whenever I see slabbed multi-player RCs that are only signed by one player but still stand a shot at being fully signed, I kinda cringe a little. I like things to be completed whenever possible, but many others just want the HOFer or main player and leave it at that. There's no wrong way of doing it, naturally; everyone has their personal preference. None of yours can be completed at this point, anyhow, so they're fine as it is. Similarly, I'm not terribly fond of adding additional signatures to a 3+ player multi that can only be partially completed due to the passing of one player or some other circumstance. There are exceptions to my personal rule, though: if there's one player on the card who has been gone quite a while, then I'll likely still try for the remaining players. I tend to only do this with cards depicting 4+ players. Again, that is what makes sense to me. Others may feel differently.

Harkening to our conversation on the card side about wrong/different player names on cards, you have Dave Hilton on the Schmidt RC. Topps calls him John, but he always went by his middle name. He was a tough signer for the longest time and has since passed, so might as well just keep it at Schmidt IMO. I would never bother having Cey sign at this point. The card seems more "complete" to me with just Schmidt rather than adding Ron.

Ron Tompkins on Bench's RC was a wonderful person. Instead of being bitter about being "the other guy" (kinda like Carreras of the Three Tenors on Seinfeld), Mr. Tompkins never minded signing that iconic card. In later years, he used his position for the greater good. He requested $10 to sign that card and donated all proceeds to charity. If you wanted him to sign anything else, he happily did so for free. Unfortunately, the opportunity to add Tompkins went away with his recent passing.

The Gary Carter RC has long been a pain to complete. Dan Meyer is not the most cooperative of signers. A private signing was arranged many months ago, but Meyer wouldn't sign the RC if Carter had already done so. Gee, great. Does anyone want this card signed just by Dan Meyer? I didn't think so. Regardless, it's been months since this signing was supposed to have transpired and Meyer still hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain, leaving everyone in the lurch. The promoter/collector handling it is on the up-and-up, so have no reason to blame him for this flakiness.