View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 08:13 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverskulls View Post
Really interesting and helpful! Thanks, Rick! The content on the website is top notch too. Really thorough and easy to understand.

Did your master list have a dark red silk Chase with blue ink? I haven’t come across another yet.

Justin
Rick's information and site is right on the money. However, even the master list put together probably does not include/cover anywhere near a major portion of the S74 silks that likely exist out in the world. PSA doesn't grade them, and if you check SGC's pop reports, they've only graded about 2,000 silks, both the S74-1 white and S74-2 colored silks, in total. Most advanced silk collectors couldn't care less about grading. And I've never heard of anyone ever even trying to produce a fake or counterfeit one, and I don't think trimming one would go over very well. LOL

There are likely a lot more silks, of both versions, out there that are ungraded and in people's private collections than you can imagine. So, the chances of finding some with a specific ink-material color combo that is not on that master list Rick was talking about, may be better than you can imagine also. I've got a few hundred colored silks myself, and contributed to the master list as well. But there is a good chance the master list is not perfect and properly showing everything that is, or isn't, actually out there in the world. So don't give up hope of finding some color combos you're interested in.

What is interesting is that a lot of people that are into the T206 set, with its numerous different tobacco/series/factory number back variations, don't realize the somewhat similar variation options and difficulties and intriguing complexities that exist with the silks. With the S74 white silks, you can have one of four different tobacco brands on the back, with two variations of the Turkey Red backs, so five different advertising backs in total. And then the front images came in potentially three different ink colors; blue, brown and a red/rust ink. So, theoretically, every player in the S74 white silks version set could potentially come in up to 15 different ink color/back combinations. And with the S74-2 colored version silks, there are no backs, and only two different tobacco brands that are now printed on the front of the silks, Turkey Red and Old Mill, but still have the three different ink colors for the images and a truly unbelievable number of material color variations. So, I don't know how many actual different versions of each player in the S74-2 colored silks set could potentially exist, but I'm going to guess it is a heck of a lot more than just 15 each. So, for anyone who likes that particular collecting aspect of multiple variations and other complexities that the T206 set offers, it can be found in the S74 silks as well. But the S74 silks are actually a lot rarer in the total numbers out there than the T206 cards. But they are still out there.

At the Strongsville show today I came across about 4-5 dealers that actually had some S74-1 and S-74-2 silks for sale. Of course, Cobb silks were big and seemed to be the most common, but did see a stack of ungraded but ad-backed S74-1 white silks of common players, in pretty nice condition and with very reasonable sticker prices, along with some nice condition S74-2 colored versions silks of stars and common players as well. And those S74-1 ad-backed silks included an extremely rare Red Sun tobacco silk of HOFer Johnny Evers. So, you never know what you might find out there in the wild, until you go looking for it. Good luck in your search.