View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 08:05 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Maybe I'm an exception, but I collect a good bit of pre war cards and I truly prefer my cards like T206 or Goudey to have rounded corners and wear.

I've seen gem mint T206 cards and they just look.....wrong. Almost fake to me. Obviously I don't collect for an investment or I might feel different, but I would be very happy with a large group of beater T206 cards than one perfect mint card.

The same goes with later R cards. They just seem weird to me to have sharp corners.

Am I alone on this?

Hi Mark,

No you aren't alone on this. When I first read the title of your post, I immediately thought of the Black Swamp Find E98s and the original population of lower grade E98s. Many E98 collectors consider the BSF cards a separate set from the circulated examples. I can't stand the BSF cards because they are too nice and have no history attached to them. They just sat in a box for 100 years. Now, the circulated examples have been collected and handled and traded and dropped and thrown around and used and got damaged over the last 100+ years. They show wear that tells a story. The mint BSF examples (like you said about high grade T206s) don't look right. They are neat to see what the cards looked like when they were first given out, but that's it. Investors buy those cards and collectors buy the lower grade ones. The original circulated cards were tough to find before the BSF and that didn't change just because the market got flooded with high grade examples. Those cards are still just as tough to find now as they were then. I don't consider the BSF high grade cards to have ruined the population of the E98 set at all. I just disregard any examples that are graded 6 or higher to be a separate set than the ones graded lower. Enough rambling for me, I'm signing off now.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here