View Single Post
Old 04-13-2023, 09:25 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I think it’s more frustrating now than it’s been in some time. While I think we can all agree that “BVG-esque” grading that is too easy / reminiscent of raw grading in the early 1990’s or even 80’s is no longer the standard - there is no reason for PSA today to be grading cards with decent centering, clean surfaces and just minor touches of corner wear 3’s and 4’s when as recently as earlier in the Lighthouse holder generation - the same cards were grading at least 2 points higher on average.
Ya, this is my #1 gripe as well. Well-centered cards with pristine surfaces, registration, and color finding their way into PSA 3 holders because of a super tiny amount of corner wear. I have a 52T Mays that is a stunning EX copy that I found in a PSA 3 holder. I laughed pretty hard the moment it arrived. Then, I immediately cracked it out. Back in the day, we would just assume there must be a small crease somewhere or some other significant flaw. But not today. A PSA 3 can literally be an EX+ card with a flawless surface. It's absolutely bonkers.

The worst part though is the arrogance they carry themselves with in regard to this topic. Nat Turner just laughs it off in every interview as if it's just sour grapes or ignorant noobie submitters. Then whoever is interviewing him just lets him off the hook because they don't want to be confrontational. Someone needs to sit his ass down with some scans of these cards and force him to accept that this is in fact going on and that it's a massive problem.

The problem is far-reaching as well. It's not just that we get hurt as submitters today, but it also divides eras of slabs into buyable and must-be-avoided holders for collectors. I never end up buying any low-numbered certs because of it. It's frustrating because I'd like to buy certain cards within a certain condition range, but pretty much all the early certs are way over-graded. I buy the cards, not the grade, and it takes so many cards off the table now because of how far they've moved the goalposts since then. I've seen countless VGEX cards that I'd love to buy, but I can't because they're sitting in PSA 6 holders and the sellers understandably are married to what's on that label. It also makes trading much more difficult, because the guy holding that PSA 8 with the 04xx cert with corners that would get a 5 at most today still thinks they're holding pure gold, and if they wait long enough for the right sucker to come around, they might still be able to cash in. It just messes with the entire ecosystem.

Last edited by Snowman; 04-13-2023 at 09:27 PM.