View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 08:22 PM
Frank Wakefield

To my short term consternation, I determine that Wid Matthews is on ONE card. Only one... 1924 Exhibit card. I learn this from The Sport Americana Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist. I'm telling those interested to get the 5th edition, it has a green cover, it's less than an inch thick, it has a 1992 copyright, and best of all, it isn't filled with thousands of 21st century players. I can look up old players much more easily. My guess is that if you get a new edition it's almost multivolume size, and if you have a 1st or 2nd edition you'll encounter a few errors... Anyway, there on page 285 is an entry for:

Matthews W. C. (Wid)
21Exh-102

Grrrr... only ONE card.

I'm encouraged. I have a couple of dozen of those early exhibits. They used to be all together, using that 'they're all from 1921' logic, although I later resorted them into multiple bunches consistent with how Mr. Lemke sorted them, 1921s, 1922s, and 1923-24s. So I'm thinking I may well have one of those.

But I didn't.

I listed in the BST thread, that buyer be ware / caveat emptor pit... and do we regularly think of those old Exhibit cards as W cards??? That's where Mr. Burdick placed them. I could see a few folks looked at my Want To Buy listing, but no one posted nor offered.

So is anyone out there selling one? Yes Sir, there's one on eBay. At what I considered a very high price. Which I paid. It was kind of a Karma thing to balance out the good deal I felt like I got on the Cover.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1679796108

And I'm happy with that card.

Wid Matthews made it to the major leagues in 1923, playing in 129 games for Mr. Mack's Athletics, he hit .274. He went from Philadelphia to Milwaukee (AA) in the off season. In June of 1924, Milwaukee traded him to the Washington Senators; and two months later they sent him to Sacramento as a player to be named later. The Senators bought him back September 29, 1924, and they had him playing outfield in 1925. Wid hit .302 in 53 games in 1924. In 1925 he appeared in 10 games, had 4 hits (all singles) in 9 at bats for a .444 batting average. He played in the minors into 1931. And he coached and managed, then coached a bit in the majors.

I understand how two teams can make a trade that benefits both teams. But golly, making a trade with Branch Rickey on the other side seems like shooting pool with Minnesota Fats... or playing Michael Jordan in a game to 30, make it take it (unless I got the ball first and slopped one in from 40', I figure I'd lose 30-0, quickly. I guess the Cubs had money and lots of young talent, and they were thinking Kiner still had pop in his bat and could easily hit more home runs in the Friendly Confines.

All in all, Wid was a better outfielder than I ever was. He had a long career in baseball. He was one of our dear pre-war players. And me stumbling across that envelope opened that door of history to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1 Matthews Ex.jpeg (117.3 KB, 274 views)