View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 10:17 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I prefer to think about it in investment terms. There is no question a sportscard is an "alternative investment." For investing, even if you are doing so responsibly with a mix of bonds, stocks and real estate, it is not considered unwise to have a small percentage of your portfolio in alternative investments like art, collectables, cryptocurrency, etc. for diversification. Of course, if 90% of your life savings and retirement is in shiny cards of current minor league ballplayers (or even rare vintage cards), you might want to rethink your portfolio holdings.

Will all of these investments go up in value? Of course not. But, historically, several have increased in value over time. On the flip side, a 40% loss on a Mickey Mantle rookie stings, but is not substantially MORE likely than a 40% drop in the stock market. And, in both cases, the market has recovered as time passes.

To me, vintage sportscards are like pieces of art. Plenty of financially savvy investors have a portion of their portfolio in fine art. The advise of art investors is to do your research, find something that speaks to you, and buy at a fair price. Let the market do what it is going to do while you enjoy your art.

The wife caveat is a big one. I look to mine to slow my impulse buys (but she always encourages the purchase). But, if your wife is concerned about your finances and would be more nervous or upset if you had more money tied up in your art, then there is no way you are going to enjoy it as much as you are going to not enjoy an upset and/or worried wife.

Last edited by Smarti5051; 03-16-2023 at 10:20 AM.