View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 07:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

Todd, Jake, thank you both, you've given me smiles to start my day.

I guess I should suggest Mike Schmidt as the greatest right handed hitter... but then I'd have to post about how misguided that would be. He was a mediocre hitter. He could crunch home runs, excellent fielder, great arm on those long throws from third base. He had a lot of walks, some attributable to a good eye and plate discipline, some intentional walks, and some because the defense just wanted to pitch around him given the situation.

I saw Mays and Aaron in the mid 60s. Aaron could move the bat through the strike zone with what seemed minimal effort; a quick, smooth swing. As a kid then, I didn't appreciate what was involved in moving the hands closer to the plate, or further away, because the pitch was out or in... Aaron was a smooth fielder, he would run, field, and throw in a way that didn't draw attention to what he was doing. Mays was different. He'd catch balls on the move. If the ball was hit 20' to his right, he'd break late and be moving as he got to where the ball was; if the ball was 70' to his left he'd break on the ball and be moving as he caught that ball. And he'd do that basket catch that little league coaches hated. If he was throwing a ball back in with no one on, it most likely was thrown underhanded. Running the bases he'd lose his hat; rounding third his arms would be churning on those broad shoulders and he looked like a freight train heading toward the plate. Catchers in their gear were hardly a match for Willie with a head of steam heading for the plate.

I remain unconvinced that there's been a better right handed hitter since Rogers Hornsby. Aaron and Mays were great right handed sluggers, and hitters. Wagner was pretty good, he wasn't just a face on a ball card. In a few years when we see the final totals on Trout, I think they'll be a slightly short of Pujols' numbers.

So I think that Mr. Reality 68 back up there in post #11 has the top five listed:

Hornsby
Aaron
Mays
Wagner
Pujols

It'd take a bunch of listing before we reached whatever number Kirby P would be.