View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 02:05 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
I really don't mean to monopolize the thread, but here i go again.

I was doing some research on my recent purchases. I had assumed that my Milwaukee Braves, LA Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals crossed bats pinbacks were all of 1960's vintage. I stumbled across Paul Muchinsky's old blog? I guess and I saw a Cardinals pin of his that resembled mine, but the font was different. I've pictured them both below. Mine is on the left and Muchinsky's is on the right.

Is there any way to date these? is there any rhyme or reason for the different font styles? I know that you guys said that they maker was never identified, but with the different fonts it makes me think that there was more than one maker, no?
I don’t know of any way to date these for sure. I do believe the 1.25 inch version came out first in the late 1930s, and the 1.75 inch version followed a few years later. As for variations of basically the same pin, it’s probably just the result of a new press run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 138DC466-AEB8-4CEC-A50D-991FC967749C.jpg (189.4 KB, 279 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown