View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Tim - welcome to the board! You have a wealth of knowledge so will be a great fit for the Net54 community.

I remember getting an email from Janice Even about Dan’s passing. He used to hold old-school auctions by email. He was honest though as I recall placing a $500+ bid on a card I wanted, only paid about $70 for it and heard that another person emailed him “after the final bell” but he wouldn’t accept that bid. Saved me quite a few bucks.

Anyway, I remember your name coming up a lot when it was searching for oddball Rickey Henderson cards back in the day. I don’t miss that rat-race. Modern player collectors are always in for a world of pain. The Broder’s are prime examples as most are uncatalogued.

Dan Even was the go-to source for JD McCarthy postcards. I have a printout of one of his spreadsheets (several hundred pages) of each player and pose catalogued. I know of a few that didn’t make his checklist, but he made a pretty decent dent in it. Not sure if anyone has picked up that pursuit with his passing.

Anyway, welcome aboard!!
Thanks, Derek. I am enjoying the boards, so much information outside of my area expertise that I knew only at a very superficial level.