View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 04:18 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Just touching exhibits is nerve racking. A slightly wrong move will leave chips and damage to the corners and edges.

I assume high grade examples aren't being found anymore. And the ones that are already graded have a safety net in place.

To my knowledge they are one of the most condition sensitive sets ever created.
Sorry, I have to disagree with that entirely, except I won't challenge your assumption as to the availability of high-grade examples (although it doesn't seem the pop reports necessarily bear that out either). They are made on sturdy cardstock, and are far more easily handled than many if not most pre-war sets, IMO. I could see an argument if they came out of the arcade machines with dinged corners, chipped edges, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Being borderless exposes some problems not as readily apparent on cards with borders, but not so much as to make handling them in any way nerve racking, again IMO.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.