View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 03:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
BobC - actually I have a 3rd Edition of SCD Vintage Cards but what got me started on this was something I had printed off and just found it again. OBC Checklist had combined the 1916 M-105 and M-104 sets into one. Then somplace I read a discussion that said this combined list should be named the Mendelsohn set. and listed the combined set as 1916 M-105-M-104 as Sporting News AKA Felix Mendelsohn. So I was trying to find out if this is now the known name or not. I gather the best solution is what has been proposed and that is to list these 1916 Sets as Felix Mendelsohn with a combined checklist and then the other sets such as Famous and Barr, Weil Baking, etc. as subsets.

Boy, I sure do appreciate everone's knowledge.

Jim
There are later SCD editions as well (I'm looking at the 5th edition right now) that can even have further changes and updates. The OBC site and checklists are very informative, but are not at all as accurate or up to date as the SCD catalogs are, so be careful when relying upon them. For example, go look at the S74 silks on the OBC site listed under their "Others" link. They still show the set as a 1909/10 set, when it has long been determined and known that like the T205 cards they share images with, the S74-1 white version silks did not come out till likely late 1910. And the S74-2 colored version silks definitely did not come out till around mid-1911. Also the S74-1 white silks checklist on the OBC site still lists 92 different silks as existing. But most advanced silk collectors have known for quite a few years now that 5 of the white version silks on that checklist do not actually exist. If you look in your 3rd edition of the Vintage SCD catalog you'll see that the S74-1 white silk numbers 36, 46, 67, 69, and 80 are still listed on the checklist, but with an "Existence now questioned." designation. Trust me, there is no question among advanced and knowledgeable silk collectors that these five white version silks do not exist with an advertising back. Chances are someone in the distant past may have come across similar S74-2 colored version silks of these five different players which were made of a similarly colored material as the S74-1 white version silks, but had significant fraying at the top and bottom so the tobacco brand name and designated factory were gone The mistake was then likely made that these may have been S74-1 white silks without the advertising backs still attached. The truth is that no examples of these five particular silks has ever been found with an advertising back still attached though, and thus the questioned existence designation by the SCD catalogs. There are very likely other OBC set descriptions and checklists that have not been updated and vetted on their site in a long time as well. I tried sending a message about the errors on the S74-1 silk set and checklist to OBC quite a long time (years) ago, but never heard back or saw any corrections or updates, so not sure how much maintenance and updating, if any, they still do to the site. Just an FYI.

If you're looking for more information on other sites about these M101-4/5 cards and sets, you should also check out the Pre-War Cards site (see link below). I have the link taking you right to the page on M cards, so you can cursor down and select the 1916 Sporting News/Mendelsohn M101-4 and Sporting News/Mendelsohn M101-5 sets to look at. You'll see similar information and discussion of the misnomer of calling these Sporting News sets, and how the M101-5 cards were never printed with Sporting News backs at all. They also list many of the other sets that are similar to and share the images on these M101-4/5 cards, so some more info to look at and maybe help you in setting up your files/spreadsheet. Good luck.

https://prewarcards.com/pre-war-card...spublications/