View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 01:06 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I was referring to what people commonly know as E135 Collins-McCarthy, H801 Boston Store, D328 Weil Baking and D350-2 Standard Biscuit. These 1917 cards all came from Mendelsohn, and so could be listed as 1917 Felix Mendelsohn with subsets if so desired. In that case, though, you would want to differentiate the m101-6 set, which as noted is completely different from the others and had multiple years of production.

Sorry then, my bad. When you just mentioned 1917, I thought you might be referring to what was once known as the M101-6 set. See, just shows how confusing these sets can be. LOL

And yes, the M101-6 set is the 1917-20 Felix Mendelsohn larger size set. Definitely different and unique from all the other mentioned sets. I always figured they used the M101-6 reference since at one time it was thought the set was somehow issued by the Sporting News, since that was how these cards/photos were marketed and being sold through the Sporting News magazines. Most of the other M101 set references (such as the M101-1, M101-2, M101-9, etc.) do specifically refer to Sporting News issued sets, and thus the initial confusion and erroneous designation of the 1917-20 Felix Mendelsohn set as an M101-6 Sporting News related set is somewhat understandable and explainable.

Great cards and sets, though often confusing and not always understood as to their origins.