View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 10:41 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I posted this on the Pre-War topic but thought it might get better traction here.

I know this has been discussed a lot before but is there a general consesus that the M101-4 Sporting News and M101-5 sets are now known as the Felix Mendelsohn set? Disregard the numerous company sets such as Standard Biscuit and Weil Baking. Reason for the question is I am trying to decide if I want to re-do my M101-4 and M101-5 Excel files into one Mendelsohn set with the company sets as a subset. Thanks.
If your goal is to consolidate or organize the Excel spreadsheet to cover the many 1916 sets that share the same subjects and photographs, I would call them Felix Mendelsohn and then use subsets, and refer to the 1917-20 set as m101-6 or m101-6 Mendelsohn. Felix Mendelsohn not only produced all of them, he almost certainly issued the blank-backs first and directly, so the attribution would have a solid basis.

Sporting News or m101-4/m101-5 are the most prevalent names used in the hobby, although these are not all that satisfactory. TSN is not accurate because the earlier cards known as m101-5 are not related to The Sporting News. Also, The Sporting News was most likely the last of all the advertisers to issue the cards, so it seems a bit counterintuitive to cover all of the cards with that umbrella. M101-4/5 are often used incorrectly by guides and graders to include many advertiser sets that have no ACC number, and yet on the other hand a few advertisers were assigned different ACC numbers for their 1916 cards-- so lumping them all under one or two main ACC numbers is not ideal either. Also, “M” sets are supposed to correlate to publications or publishers as their source, but as we know, very few of the 1916 advertisers were in that business.

I collect these cards extensively, and sometimes struggle with the best way to reference them without confusion. Felix Mendelsohn with subsets seems to work, although that too can get a little muddled when you try and separate them between the earlier (m101-5 like) and later (m101-4 like) sets, and then stop to realize that two of the advertisers (plus blank-backs) issued both sets in full, and a handful of others mixed and matched between the two versions.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-13-2023 at 10:58 PM.