View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 03:56 PM
Craig L.

Default OJs, SGC & Ethics

So after over 40 years of collecting, i finally submitted a group of Old Judges, 14, to SGC. While i was not expecting high grades, knowing fully that some will be slabbed as Authentic. The cards i chose all have full borders while a few had been skinned or rebacked. Four of the cards were returned NO CANNOT/DO NOT GRADE. All four cards we skinned.

My main goal of starting to grade my OJs is for preservation. I also want to make it easier for my sons to liquidate once I'm gone. I don't care what they grade, i own many Des Moines and Sioux City OJs that are severely trimmed and/or skinned. For me it's all about having the desired pose

Here's where my dilemma begins. Since i know that they have graded OJs that have been rebacked, do i remove a few layers of an OJ actress card and affix it to my skinned card hoping to get it encapsulated in a Tux? Now im not wanting to deceive anyone now or in the future. I would just like to have these few that i have, in this condition, In a similarly authenticated case.

I guess my issues are, I dont like the idea of; 1. altering a card by adding a back, 2. skinning an old actress card that would practically destroy it, and more important than anything else, 3. possibly damaging my reputation in this hobby.

Im curious to what other collectors might think.

Cheers and thanks
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OJsSGCReturns.jpg (196.1 KB, 240 views)
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back