View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 04:46 PM
J@mes In.gram

I think a lot of people are holding what they have, and either trading or buying cheap. That is me at this point.

I have been in and out of this hobby for long periods over the decades. I can easily understand getting out now, with the high cost of graded cards. Thus, if you're sitting on a gold mine, I can easily understand selling out. As Joe DiMaggio said, when it's no longer fun, it's time to go.

The only people who appear to be happy with the current state of affairs in this hobby are the deep pocketed, only too happy to buy, sell and trade cards that, unless you were able and fortunate enough to pick them up when they were reasonable, are beyond the grasp of the average guy. Sure there are shows, and people who frequent this forum, and auction houses, and sellers on eBay, and what have you who radiate positivity over buying or selling cards in the thousands of dollars. But that's not the average guy, I do not think. The average guy can only participate in buying expensive cards if he is single, or he has no kids and a very understanding wife who doesn't care if hubby buys whatever it is that makes him happy. It isn't a hobby when you go into debt to further it. I guess it is a hobby if you're made out of money.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***