View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 12:43 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Someone here now, who's here 10 years from now, please dig this thread out of the past...

The card with the most gain in value will be the white border tobacco cards of Ty Cobb, his portrait with that green background. That card will see the greatest price change. Cobb's T206 green portrait.

Ten years from now, do the math, that'll be the card. There will be more collectors then, many of them chasing cards of Hall of Famers from their playing days. And that will lead to collecting all 4 of his T206 cards, and that will push this card the most.
I wouldn't place my bets on Ty Cobb, considering the current social climate and where things seem to be heading. Debates aside about whether or not he was indeed a racist, and please let's not turn this into a debate about how we feel about the matter, the fact remains that there has been and continues to be a push to erase or suppress historical figures who are broadly viewed as racists. Whether he indeed was or was not, the fact remains that he is indeed viewed as such by the majority. And just like the statues of guys like Thomas Jefferson were torn down, I suspect it's only a matter of time until guys like Ty Cobb and Cap Anson fall victim to these behaviors and beliefs as well.

I would wager every penny I'll ever own that Jackie Robinson cards will outperform Ty Cobb cards over the next N number of years.