View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I agree with this, and I think it's what the record suggests is the case. He was unpopular for being outspoken in the opposite direction of the media (some of the claims about his positions are true, and some were just completely false htitpieces. I remember the fake news push that he was a Nazi with a huge collection of nazi memorabilia, as it turned out he collects World War II memorabilia from across the world, as do many people. He was in trouble shortly before this for comparing Islamic extremism to Nazism) and sometimes a dumbass. The meme gave the writers the reason to block an enemy, which they took. His frustration over it and the request sunk his last chance, but it's fairly clear what the actual problem is for at least 9/10 of the saga. I wish I didn't know athletes political views, hot takes, and triggering memes, and they could simply be evaluated on reasonable grounds of actual merit, instead of tribalism.
Yes, I do miss the "good old days" of Hall of Fame debates, before steroids, politics, crime, gambling, sexual abuse, and all those other nasty things came into the equation.

As we've seen in the threads here, it's hard enough to find consensus on who should be in and out without all those outside variables.