View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 02:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I guess we'll see if you're right on those final prices - certainly the AH expects a much bigger spread.

If it's helpful, they are both graded by PSA, and both received a lofty assessment, although they are 1 full grade apart. So there shouldn't be any potential for TPG splits to drive the pricing results.
Am making an educated guess, and thinking the better centering on the front of the #1/top card adds enough eye appeal to catch a little more attention (ie: money).

Having said that, the backs on both look pretty decent, with the #1/top card's back, though not perfectly centered, definitely more centered than the#2/bottom card. And there's also the very noticeable diamond cut on the back of the #2/bottom card, further detracting from it as well. Not sure about any paper loss on the back, can't really see it. And the fact you said PSA graded these two cards only one full grade apart pretty much tells me PSA didn't see any paper loss either.

One other thing did catch my attention though about the backs. Is it possible the #1/top card got slightly tilted somehow just when they ran the card through for the red ink run, creating a sort of diamond cut effect for just the red print on back, but not for the black print? To see what I'm talking about look at the print on back of both cards, at the bottom and middle of the cards, where the world "Field.", printed in black, sits just to the left of the word "RECORDS", printed in red. There's also a red line printed between those two words. Now look at the letters "l" and "d" in the word "Field.". On the #1/top card, those two letters look like they both touch that red line, but in the #2/bottom card, they don't. And then if you look to the left of the word "Field." you'll see the word "Avg.", also printed in black. Now notice how the bottom of the letter "g" in that word appears to just touch the black line next to it similarly on both cards #1 and #2? And no other letters in the same row as the word "Field." touches that red line on the #1 top/card, which is what got me wondering if the red printing on the back may have gotten printed at a very slightly different angle than the black printing on that #1/top card? Or is this just another difference between the two types of these '52 Topps Mantle cards that no one had mentioned yet?

Last edited by BobC; 10-25-2022 at 02:40 PM.