View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 11:20 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
You're "erring on the side of caution," as well?

The HoF says "I'm gonna remove the cards from the slabs because there's a chance--based on the known behavior of some plastics--that chemicals from the plastic will leach into the paper. Better to be safe than sorry."

Sounds pretty cautious.

You say "I'm gonna leave the cards in the slabs because "they are worth a ton more."

Sounds more mercenary than anything else.

You also say a reason for leaving the cards in the slabs is that, that way, "they are authentic." What? If a card is removed does it cease being authentic?
No no no, I assumed a lot was implied with what I said, but it's the internet/txt so it's not and that's my fault.

Slabs are worth more, that's just a simple fact and the main reason why I will keep mine slabbed. That's me erring on the side of caution for my investment.

And no, I'm not saying that unslabbed cards are not authentic, I'm saying that with slabbed cards you are getting a guarantee that they are authentic (I realize this isn't foolproof either). There are a large swath of collectors that will not buy an unslabbed card because of the risk (trimmed, fake, etc), and while I'm not one of them, I do buy the vast majority of my cards already slabbed and tend to stay away from raw cards, mainly so I won't have to do it myself because inevitably I will.