View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 11:02 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I do not know the provenance of this card, but my first thought was that it was submitted with the owner requesting a minimum grade of 5, maybe as a crossover, and that SGC jumped at the chance to have a graded Wagner on display in their holder. Just the cynic in me I guess.

That being said, does it really matter? For that card of that player from that set, is there really going to be a ruckus raised over the numeric grade? Is some registry hound out there thinking he needs to "upgrade" his Wagner to score big points? Another screaming foul because he just got jumped in the standings by an overgraded card? If so it just makes me wonder more about the egos of some people being unhealthily out of whack.

IMHO, the card is simply gorgeous, and should be enjoyed and valued as such. Any numeric grade as an assurance that the card is genuine and unaltered should be enough.
It should matter, in a rational world, if value is effectively decided by the grading companies. Blatant corruption should matter. Just giving them a pass for every single fraud, lie and load of bunk doesn’t seem rational, or to promote anything but fraud, lies, and BS in the hobby. That the grade of a card is determined as much by who submits it and how much SGC is either paid off or feels they’ll get in marketing gain from a marquee card should be a cause of concern for people who do graded. If grading is not based on any objective standard but simply politics then the entire exercise is pointless, except for the people using the corrupt system to make money.